Friday, September 26, 2008

6th Week

The Baby:

A wonderful new sound enters the world this week: our baby's heartbeat! Although still too faint to be picked up by a doctor's stethoscope, it's visible in a sonogram as a tiny, pulsing dot in the middle of your still-transparent embryo's body. From now until birth, it will beat approximately 150 times a minute, twice the average adult heart rate. The rest of the embryo is working hard, too--it will triple in size this week, to about a quarter of an inch long.

The Mommy:

There's good news and bad news this week. The good news is that my body is pumping increased amounts of progesterone to create a safe "nest" for our baby to grow. The bad news is that progesterone slows down the digestive process, causing nausea which I have felt every bit of. I have been feeling it more in the mornings. I feel pretty queasy. Breakfast used to be my favoite meal but lately I have been waiting till I get to work until I eat, just in case".

The Daddy:

Rudy has been getting excited! He has been talking about decorating the baby's room. Shopping for toys now that Toys-R-Us is having a store closing. He is also wondering if he will soon be second on the list. I will try my best to assure him that he is always number one in my book. He has also been doing his best to help out around the house! Yes I know this is the most exciting part.

1 comment:

Crystal and Kaiden said...

i wish there was a toys r us closing by us! but i do have a friend who gets 40% off gymboree clothes...

glad your 6th week is going good! you'll get though the nausea in no time.