Tuesday, May 19, 2009

How it all happened.......


Our beautiful baby girl was born on May 11th, Monday, at 4:57pm. She was 7lbs. and 7oz and was 20 inches long.


So here is how it all started:

I woke up Sunday morning used the bathroom and started walking around then all of the sudden it felt like I wet my pants. I got nervous at the thought that it might be time and decided to lay down the rest of the day. Rudy was working and got home much later that night. I told him what had happened and he also got nervous. I didn't want to be one of those girls that had false labor and got sent home so we debated calling anyone for a while then around 1:30am I called the hospital and told them that we were on our way. Once we got there I was hooked up to some monitors and tested to see if my water had broke. The nurses said that it had not broke but they could see that I was having contractions and I was 1cm dialated. My doctor was notified and gave me 2 ambien and told to go home and get some sleep. At this time it was 4am and I was knocked out from the meds. I faintly remember dreaming about jungles, making ice packs for my stomach, trying to sleep on my knees, and moving from the bed to the couch. Rudy didn't understand what was going on and just kept telling me to lay down and sleep but I insisted that I felt pain. It was about 6:30am when I went to use the bathroom and didn't know which end it was going to come out of. I ended up peeing and throwing up at the same time. As I walked back into the livingroom I felt this big gush of water run down my legs. It was then that I realized my water had definately broke. I went into the bedroom took off my pants and told Rudy that it was time. We called the doctor and headed back to the hospital.

I don't remember much at this point but Rudy told me that the nurse at the emergency couldn't open the wheelchair and he just saw me standing there in pain. Once seated Rudy was so nervous he ran me into the wall of the elevator. I finally got into a room and it turns out that I was now 4 1/2 cm dialated. I was checked on every 1/2 hour and by 10:00am I was 9 1/2cm dialated. It turns out that I was in labor for aprox. 10-15 hours and pushed for 2. There were no complications and in the end our beautiful baby Olivia Mae Torres was placed in my arms. From that moment my life will never be the same. I didn't know that love like this exhisted and in the matter of seconds I realized why mothers cry when they see there babies grow up, learn new things, and succeed in life. I learned something recently that I will tell Olivia as she grows....shoot for the moon and if you miss reach out and grab a star. Either way I will always be proud of her and I knew that from the first moment that I heard her cry.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

i knew you'd have a good story to tell me! she is so gorgeous!!!

Kim Potts said...

Aw, that's soooo sweet! What a wonderful story! I can't wait to meet your little blessing! Love, Aunt Kim :)